As we get older, it’s normal for the skin on our hands to become thin and wrinkled. This phenomenon is due to multiple factors, including continued use, the aging process, and exposure to the elements (sun, wind, etc). Patients who are struggling with this issue can see significant improvement by undergoing a fat transfer to their hands, providing them with better contours while achieving full rejuvenation.
What does the treatment entail?
Hand fat transfers are a simple and straightforward procedure that consists of the following steps:
- First, healthy fat is harvested from the belly, thighs, or buttocks by way of liposuction.
- The harvested fat is then processed through a small puncture in the wrist and prepared for transfer.
- A fine needle and cannula are used to inject the healthy fat into areas of the hand that have lost volume and vitality.
- To account for the natural reabsorption of the injected fat, more fat than required is injected. This ensures that the hands will continue to look great even after some fat has been absorbed by the body.
- The hand is then massaged to ensure an even distribution of the fat, achieving the desired outcome and leaving the hands looking healthier and more youthful.
- Many patients report a significant reduction in the appearance of aging hands, with some seeing a difference of up to 10 to 20 years following the procedure.
The procedure is performed awake with no need for general anesthesia.